Search This Blog


Blog Archive

Monday, August 10, 2015


The outside water faucet is on the south side of the house and I have to either go around spaRRows/birdbath bed/jap maple, etc to get to it OR take a shortcut through spaRRows, along the deck, under the bay window and get it that way.  The former is through grass which can be wet.  The latter, while shorter, is moist and, after a rain, squishy.

With all that red cedar still in the basement, I'd been laying some of it down here and there to help.

This year I decided to get all those loose boards organized and screwed together for better footing.

The boardwalk now extends all the way to the monster Bressingham Blue hosta.  

But that left about 5-6' of sloped pathway out to the lawn.  I didn't want to deal with stiff boards on rounded terrain.

Once again I've put those 16" rubber pavers to good use.  Not only did I use 2 of them to make an apron to the approach to the boardwalk, but now the exit path keeps my shoes dry.

If spaRRows is going to continue (and it's looking good in that regard), then access will make maintenance and watering more enjoyable.

Obviously it would be best if I could get another outside faucet on the East side of the house, but that's not gonna happen.  The only exterior wall to do that is under the deck and 12 feet of above-ground pipe to a faucet off the deck is just asking for freezing trouble.

Ya make do with what ya got, right?

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page. 

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Dry copper fountain

For several years the decorative copper fountain that graced the front hosta garden languished in the breezeway because I could no longer repair the leaky metal tube in the back.   Then, last year, the Snow Queen oak leaf hydragea died.

The front garden lost its charm and, since I had other pretty places in the back, the front garden, while maintained, was not as appreciataed as before.

Early this season I found and installed a new oak leaf hydragea and it has taken quite well.  The coming winter will determine just how well....

Meanwhile, I still missed the *bling* of the fountain.  It could not run it because it pump line leaked.  I could not leave it NOT running, as rain and debris and standing water might weigh it down enough to pull it off the wall. And then there were the mosquitos that would thrive in standing water.  Hmmmm.

*Light Bulb*

As long as the fountain didn't hold ANY water, it could still be a nice focal point.  I popped out the pump then - quick - to the drill!!

Man, copper is WAY harder than I thought.  (Well, yeah - ancient people used it to make swords and tools for gosh sakes!)

Eventually I drilled holes in both bowls.  Now it could hang - and not fill up.  That's the plan anyway.  If those holes plug up too easily, I'll have to get a bigger drill bit.

Tada!  The Queen (hydragea) and the fountain have once again completed the 'look' of the front garden.

Truth - I still won't sit there for morning coffee like I used to, but the garden has found its original feng shui and looks great from the breezeway windows.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Bench work

The benches were starting to look pretty bad and it had been a while since I got to play with the ROS.

One shady morning I set up shop and had at them.  

There was the cedar bench top I bought years ago at a garage sale (always meaning to have legs put on, maybe some day....).

There was the heavy slab bench from ReStore (now roosting in front of the garden swing).  There were 2 small benches also from ReStore.  And finally, there are 2 long heavy benches, one on the deck and one in front sporting 4 heavy planters.  

I sanded the cedar, the slab (a dense wood), the 2 little benches (turned out to be redwood) and the deck bench.  (No way was I going to lift off full planters from its mate.)

Later I grabbed a brush and applied some TWP wood sealant to the slab, the redwood and the deck bench.  The cedar didn't really need it, but I can always change my mind later.

Later this fall when I empty the planters, I'll do the other heavy bench top.  (Only tops were spiffed up, all legs and supports got short shrift. After all, it's the tops that take all the beating.)

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.